As per the provisions of the Compulsory Registration Scheme, it’s important for the battery manufacturers to obtain BIS certification for batteries before they can be sold on the Indian soil.
Batteries are the most portable power sources that while have a very outdated technology, still persist to this day. From clocks to TV remotes, from toys and other articles that have a small slot in the back, each of these products use a storage battery as their power source. However, as time passed and new technologies have arrived, the Bureau of Indian Standard came to realization that the standard way of manufacturing batteries doesn’t produce a product that is safe for public. Thus, to enforce better practice of production, it introduced BIS for batteries.
What is BIS for Batteries?
BIS for Batteries is a standard that has been established by the Burau of Indian standards. It sets the certain standards for batteries that the manufacture has to abide by. These include the points that are mentioned in IS 16046:2015*:
- The materials that are used to manufacture the batteries
- The method that is employed to create the batteries
- The environmental impact of such a manufacturing process
- The label that the manufacturer has to put on the package.
Without following the BIS standard, the battery manufactured isn’t allowed to put his products in the market. Let’s now discuss the procedure to obtain this certification.
How to obtain BIS certificate for batteries
The procedure to obtain BIS certificate for battery is comprised of the following steps:
- First, you have to get access of the IS 16046:2015 standard. Consider the points mentioned in that as a guide that you can use train your employees and the Head of Departments.
- Once you’ve trained yourself in following the finer points of the standard and have adhered to the specific points given in the standard, you can start filing the application for BIS License for batteries.
- Go the BIS website.
- Under the CRS section, select batteries and start filing the application
- Upload the required documents along with the application.
- Once the Bureau receives your application, it will scrutinize it. If it finds any shortcomings with the application or the document, you’ll be informed.
- After your application is accepted, the BIS will appoint an BIS officer
- That officer will pay a visit to your manufacturing facility to inspect it
- Based on the inspection, he will draft an inspection report.
- He will then forward the report to the Bureau of Indian Standards along with his recommendation as to whether or not you should get BIS registration for batteries.
Much of the process of BIS certification for batteries hinges on having the right documents.
Documents required for BIS certification
Following are the documents you’re required to deposit alongside the application for BIS certification of batteries:
- Copy of the Certificate of incorporation of your company (Self-Certified)
- Copy of the Address proof of your company (self-certified)
- ID proof of the authorized signatory of the BIS registration application.
- Technical documentation of the battery
- A location map showing the premises of your factory along with a specific landmark.
- An agreement on the judicial stamp worth INR 100/-
If you’re a manufacturer of batteries, getting BIS certified is not just optional for you anymore. You MUST obtain it. If you need any assistance, our BIS consultants are here for you.